We have the honor and privilege to recommend some of Arizona’s most talented and skilled individuals for selection to the four service academies that require nominations: the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and the U.S. Military Academy West Point.
We will begin accepting nomination applications for the Class of 2024 in May 2019. The deadline to submit applications is October 2019.
Each applicant requesting a nomination must meet the basic eligibility requirements set forth by the service academies:
- Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 23rd birthday (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy);
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and legal resident of Arizona;
- Must be unmarried;
- Must not be pregnant and have no legal obligation to provide financial support for children or other dependents; and
- Must be qualified to commit to a minimum of five years of active duty service upon graduation from an Academy
- Prior to applying for a nomination from our office, please contact your academy or academies of choice to request a pre-candidate questionnaire. Once you have completed the questionnaire and have sent it to the academy or academies to which you are seeking admission, they will inform you of any special physical, medical, or academic requirements particular to their institution.
Our office requires the following materials in order to consider your request for a nomination:
- An official transcript from all high schools, junior colleges, or universities you have attended;
- An official copy of your SAT and / or ACT score. Please have them submitted electronically and sent directly to our Phoenix Office (c/o Kelly Mills).
- An essay of approximately 500 words highlighting your commitment to attend a service academy;
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals that know you well and can attest to your moral character and achievements;
- A resume in order to highlight certain extracurricular activities;
- There is no application form needing to be downloaded and filled out. The above mentioned items are what constitutes a complete application packet.
How to send documents:
All documents must be sent via regular mail and must be placed in a sealed envelope. No electronic submissions will be considered. Again, the deadline to submit applications is 5PM AZ on October 1, 2019. Please note that this is not a postmark date. Your completed packet must be sent to our Phoenix office.
In addition to submitting a packet to our office for nomination, it is also your responsibility to complete and submit the admissions application to your academy or academies of choice prior to their listed deadline in order to ensure that the institution(s) opens an admissions file for you. For general inquiries regarding this step in the process, you may contact the academies:
Army: 1-800-822-ARMY, http://admissions.usma.edu
Navy: 1-888-249-7707, http://www.usna.edu/admissions
Air Force: 1-719-333-2520, http://academyadmissions.com
Merchant Marines: 1-800-732-6267, www.usmma.edu/admissions
The U.S. Coast Guard Academy no longer requires a Congressional nomination for appointment. Applications must therefore be made directly to the Academy.
Securing a nomination from our office does not guarantee an appointment (i.e. offer of admission). It is at the ultimate discretion of each respective Academy to make the final, culminating decision. You are encouraged to apply for as many nominations as you may be eligible. As a matter of courtesy, we ask that you inform our office if you are seeking a nomination with another Congressional or Senatorial office.
For any questions related to service academy nominations, please contact ServiceAcademies@sinema.senate.gov